Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serbian(Slavic?)-proto IE(Sanskrit) conne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian(Slavic?)-proto IE(Sanskrit) conne
    Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:47

This post by Zagros partially inspired me to share some of my own findings about Serbian(slavic??)-ancient IE(Indo-Aryan) parallels.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3998& ; ;KW=ie+languages&TPN=1

My first remark is about certain Serbian folk tradition,mostly widespread among the people of villages(or so it was-most of it is probably deminished nowadayas),and it  concerns the colour of the hair(mostly has to do with women hair)-people of the village dont  seem to appreciate blonde girls.I can personally guarantee for this: few years ago my grandmother was looking at some celebrity photos and pointed one girl(slightly fair haired)and told me:this is the kind of girl u should marry-I laughed and said-what about this oneand pointed to this pretty blonde girl.She said no,the other ones betterafter some time of my persuesions(unsuccessful ones) I realized that her criteria was infact-hair colour;the whole thing amused me,since I thought it was one of her inclinations-since she couldnt give me a single reason to back up her claims and she was very stubborn about the whole thing.So naturally I assumed it was her own theory,and didnt think about it-until some time ago when  I read an article when it became clear to me that this was infact a part of a tradition.

Now,in the Sanskrit code of law, the Manu-smrti(book 3,ch 8) it is recomended that one shouldnt marry a girl with very fair hair.In my further research,i havent found any similar European traditions( maybe I should  try harder).This little Serbian poems backs up my claims:

Sakuj meni od zlata junaka,
                                    Nemoj plava, tako ti zanata

It roughly says :make me a hero made of gold,please,I bag you-do not make him blond.Theres a few similar ones,but they r longer and a bit harder to translate.Strangely,blond girls r not very rear in Serbia

My next remark is this poem: Bosiljak i rosa(this is inly a part)

Ne cvilite, tici orlovici!

Povecu vas u zemlju Indiju,

Gde tir konju raste do kolena
                 Odkle nikad ne zalazi sunce.

Po tome se tici uteie.

Theres also another poem i found(much longer) that also mentions India

To make it short-eagle cubs lost their mother and swallow is comforting them by saying that she will take them to India,where grass grows till the horses knees,where the sun never sets down.Now,this poem is at least few centuries old(its a folk poem written down by Vuk Karadzic 200 years ago)-the first thing that comes to my mind,is why India- how could those simple farmers who couldnt be anything but farmers through centuries of turkish yoke know such things about India(Im open for the possibility its just plane imagination) even if they heard it through some other people(seems probable)-why r they so fascinated with India?One historian(most of these discoveries r his)observes that u can feel the yearning of a poet-to what once was a homeland of his people.

Edited by Socrates
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:55

Next connection is the language-Sanskrit Agni and Serbian Oganj-both meaning fire;Sanskrit  Apita  and Serbian  Opet-again; Sanskrit Svapna and Serbian  San,Spavanje both meaning  dream,sleeping; Sanskrit Sva and Serbian Svoj meaning of his own; Now this one takes a bit longer: Sanskrit Moksha(Mukti,Mukta) meaning the way of liberating ones soul from  earthly inclinationsthose of u with some insight in philosophy and religion certainly know that the way mentioned above is often equal to suffering-Serbian Muka.This form is derived from ancient slavic Mokosha or Mohuka;another sinonymus for Sanskrit Moksha(Mukti,Mukta) is Zivan-comp.to Serbian Zhiv-alive-when a Serb wants to emphasize his suffering hell say muka zhiva-a living torture(suffering)-and Zhivan is acommon name in Serbia. How about this: Sanskrit Ast(i?)and Serbian Jeste-meaning it is(Asi and Jesi you are).This is one of my speculations-Sanskrit Manasi -- in the heart,within the mind,etc.-comp. to the name of one of Serbian monasteries-Manasija .Another interesting word-Sanskrit Maya(f) meaning the great demon Maya Danava;Mayai(f)-made of; Maya k(?)t-made by Maya-while in Serbian Majati means to deceive,zamajavati se means to waste your time on something irelevant,possibly  unreal;according to Svetasvatara Upashanid this world is mayin-nearly a deception,not real-so the connection between these words is evident.I think that even Veda has a meaning in Serbian similar to the one in Sanskrit(wisdom,knowledge).I even read that Rigveda is read as Richveda(not sure)-if this is true then it makes perfect sense to me since Rech(some Croatians pronounce it as Rich)means-Word so we get the same meaning in Serbian like in Sanskrit-Words of wisdom(knowledge). Sanskrit word for dawn is Ushas(Usas)-in Serbian the word Uzhas personifies something terrible-an extraordinary state of mind and soul-it is proposed that its meaning changed during time but it still remained in contact with its original meaning-when down appears,many feelings-some of them reach much deeper then just plain joy occur(I could probably explain this a bit better,but my skills in English r somewhat limited). More examples:Ancient Indian sacred texts r called Sruti(heard).In Serbian Chuti means both-to hear and to be heard;some Croats and Montenegrins use Shuti when they want u to shut up.Opposite Sruti in Vedic literature is Smrti (remembered,recollected).Smrt in Serbo-Croatian means-death;and Im sure it can be very easily explained how it acquired that meaning through philosophy.ethnology and linguistics(obviously not by yours truly),however Ive got another explanation-its connected with another(very similar) word.Now,in order to remember-what do u have to do(first of all things)?U have to calm yourself down,in order to think clear.Well smiriti in Serbian means to calm(someone) down.This word is rooted in the word Mir meaning peace in Serbo-Croatian-which could be also connected with death(rest in peace-pochivaj u miru).

Just two more words:  During the turkish rule of Serbia there was many outlaws from turkish authority who fought the Turks(and  robbed them-to be honest)-they were called hajduci(Plural;(hajduk-singular)).It is generally considred that the word is turkish(or Hungarian)-however one of our historians thinks it  was derived from the Sanskrit aydh-(to battle,to oppose),which could through metathesis become ayduh(in our epics the term ayduk is most frequently used)-meaning opponent,warrior. The next word is infact a name-Karaman,which was a hound that belonged to Serbian epic hero Bane Strahinjic.Some consider that it is derived from Sarama-old Indian dog-like deity(or belonging to a certain god?).

Just a 1-2 more speculations of mine: Rashnu- an ethical deity, the divine judge who  presided over legal disputes among men(aryan mythology)-the first Serbian medieval state was Rashka;theres a surname in Serbia-Rashovich.Maybe unrelated(most probably)-etruscans called themselves Rasenna or Rasci.I was going to mention Mitra(personal name(male and female)and a common surname))-but it seems like cult of Mitra was widespread from India to Britain,so I guess there isnt anything special about that connection...

Edited by Socrates
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 06:32

Well, genetically there's no Serbian connection with North India (Sanskritized area).

Haplogroup I (purple) is absent in North Indian populations.

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 06:49
I know that...I was talking about traditions,folklore linguistics etc.We're even different from Slavs of let's say Russia and Poland-we mixed with the native population of balcans heavily...Don't get me wrong-I'm not stating that any parallel from my post is certain without a doubt.If those ancient Serbs(some think of them as sarmatians)were genetically connected with India,during all these centuries...u know what i mean... 

Edited by Socrates
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 08:02
 Mr.Sokrates  i see that you know the language so you  can  help  with  translation.  I'm  gonna  give  you  some  links  wich  can  help  us  to  get  deeper  and  find  some  real  conection.

www.vukotic.atspace.com/tesa.htm#mozak
 Surbel language
  www.nin.co.yu/2002-02/07/21878.html
 Needle of 100% pure steel,something like this only exist in India,10km south
of Delhi close to Kutab Minar.

When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 08:25

I'll try to,but nothing in the next 2-3 days...

Forgot to mention black and white colours as symbols in Serbian epics-like in sacred Indian texts(and some other IE traditions...)

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 08:47

Originally posted by Surbel

Mr.Sokrates  i see that you know the language so you  can  help  with  translation.  I'm  gonna  give  you  some  links  wich  can  help  us  to  get  deeper  and  find  some  real  conection.

www.vukotic.atspace.com/tesa.htm#mozak
 Surbel language
  www.nin.co.yu/2002-02/07/21878.html
 Needle of 100% pure steel,something like this only exist in India,10km south
of Delhi close to Kutab Minar.

It's a pillar Mr.Surbel.

Like other great civilisations of the world, India too has contributed significantly towards the development of metallurgy. Indians started use of metals in the chalcolithic (copper-stone) age and today museums house numerous metal tools from that period. By the advent of bronze age Indians had become master craftsmen. This is amply proven by the discovery of thousands of metal tools, household objects, ornaments, etc. in the ruins of the ancient Indus valley civilisation, which flourished between 2500 to 4000 BC. During this age gold, silver, copper, lead and bronze were the most common metals used. With the coming of Iron age, iron became the most important metal. By the first century BC use of zinc and high zinc brass too had become quite common.

Among the astonishing contributions of Indians has been the development of technology to produce pure zinc and high zinc-copper alloys. In fact in the ancient and medieval world India was the only country to have this technology. Two thousand years after Indians had been commercially making zinc and high zinc brass objects the first patent for the commercial production of zinc was awarded to William Champion in 1738 AD for his Bristol process.

The biggest marvel of the ancient India is the Iron Pillar. This "rustless wonder" has baffled scientists for the last two thousand years.

In the middle ages Indians developed the legendary Wootz steel. This steel was far superior to any other at that time. Unfortunately the technology for its production has got lost in the mist of time. Over the last two centuries a lot of research has been carried out to "re-invent" it. Michael Faraday spent considerable amount of time studying it and for the first time the optical microscope was extensively used to study it.

In this site a brief review of the production techniques of some of the metals and their uses in the ancient and medieval India is presented.

Gold
Silver
Copper
Tin
Copper - Tin Alloys
Zinc
Copper - Zinc Alloys
Lead
Iron and Steel
Mercury

Iron Pillar at Mehrauli. This pillar has not rusted in the last 2000 years.

Statue of Siva Nataraj the Lord of Dance made during the reign of Chola dynasty in South India (9th to 10th century).

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~maneesh/Metallurgy/Metallurgy/Manee sh_metallurgy.htm
Jai Badri Vishal
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 08:58

One of these sites is obviously pure propaganda, and the other is just another SF rubbish... I think that someone made up the whole story to sell more papers... 

Edited by Socrates
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 09:03
  Thank you Mr.Jhangora
The  needle  i mention  it  was  found  in  Serbia,Leskovac  on  archeological  location  Hisar.  Long  64,5cm  and  old around  3300 years.  On  the  link  i posted,you  can  see  a  little  picture .  Needle  doesn't  rust.
When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 05:48
I found this examples: Sanskrit Astya (mouth)-in Serbian Usta; Sanskrit Naga (naked)-in Serbian Nag (m.)-he who is naked, and Naga (f)-she who is naked.

Edited by Socrates
Esquire View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Esquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 03:14

>> Serbian (Slavic?)- proto IE(Sanskrit) connection <<

Serbian is a Slavic language

Slavic, Germanic, Latin, also Albanian (Illyr), Celt, Greek... ALL part of  Indo-European Language Group.
The common basis for this group is the ancient SANSKRIT language, from the Aryans of North India.
This is where the "Indo-" designation comes from.

Of course there is a connection - it's the scientific basis for the language group!

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 06:31
Originally posted by Esquire

>> Serbian (Slavic?)- proto IE(Sanskrit) connection <<

Serbian is a Slavic language

Slavic, Germanic, Latin, also Albanian (Illyr), Celt, Greek... ALL part of  Indo-European Language Group.
The common basis for this group is the ancient SANSKRIT language, from the Aryans of North India.
This is where the "Indo-" designation comes from.

Of course there is a connection - it's the scientific basis for the language group!

I wasn't refering to the language alone,but also some traditions...Anyway, have u read my examples-certain words r almost unchanged in Serbian when compared to Sanskrit.Anyway, some of the Slavic worldviews/traditions r very similar to those of ancient India...

That little history lesson was completely unnecessary, since i'm perfectly aware of all those things-I was just trying to show that there is a close connection between Slavs and Sanskrit (closer then in many IE languages)-and I also found some sources which propose directly that Slavs came from India ( they're not very reliable though-however, I rather like the idea).If Milton can propose that Anglo-Saxons came from India-I don't see why I couldn't do so with Slavs-it's much more likely.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 01:08

LEXICAL COMPARISON OF SANSKRIT AND LATVIAN

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi51.htm

A theory that some English words are actually Sanskrit-like

http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/sanskritwords.htm

I agree with both Milton and you Socrates. Anglo-Saxons and Slavs originated in India.

PS:I hope now Maju knows my view on the AIT.

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 02:54
Originally posted by Jhangora

LEXICAL COMPARISON OF SANSKRIT AND LATVIAN

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi51.htm

A theory that some English words are actually Sanskrit-like

http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/sanskritwords.htm

I agree with both Milton and you Socrates. Anglo-Saxons and Slavs originated in India.

They are all Indo-European.

abhi

abi

"both"

See Spanish "ambos"

asti

esti

"to eat"

It's obvious that English "eat" comes from the same root, after losing the "s"

avata

avuota

"spring water, source"

Latin aqua (water)

cathurth

ceturta

"fourth"

Spanish cuatro (four) or cuarto (fourth).

dina

diena

"day"

Spanish "dia", English "day"

Dyaus

Dievs

"Deus, God"

Latin "Deus", Greek "Theos" and "Zeus"

dhuma

duma

"smoke, of smoke"

Spanish "humo"

dusim

duosim

"give, will give"

Spanish "dar" (to give), "das" (you give)

ga*s

guovs

"cow"

English "cow"

griva

griva

"mouth, estuary, firth"

Spanish "ra" (firth, stuary)

grabh

grab

"grab"

English "grab"

yukt

jugta

"harness"

Spanish "yugo"

kas

kas

"what"

Spanish "qu"

kataras

katris

"each"

Spanish "cada"

kuti

kuti

"shed, coop, stable"

Spanish "cuadra"

lakt

lakt

"to lap"

English "lap"

mat*h

mate

"mother"

English "mother", Latin "mater"

madhu

medu

"honey"

Spanish "miel"

n*kt

nakt

"night"

English "night", Lat. "nocte"

nabhi

naba

"navel"

English "navel"

pl*si

blusi

"fleas"

Eglish "fleas"

prasnaya

prasnaja

"question"

Spanish "pregunta"

pluti

pludi

"flood"

English "flood"

r*tha

rata

"wheels, of wheels"

Latin "rota"

srava

strava

"stream, current"

English "stream"

tava

tava

"yours"

Spanish "tuyo"

ti

edi

"eat"

English "eat"

trayas

tris

"three"

English "three", Spanish "tres"

udhar

udr

"otter"

English "otter"

vayus

vejis

"wind"

English "wind", Spanish "viento"

vrkas

vilks

"wolf"

English "wolf"

vira

vira

"man, husband"

Latin "vir" (male, man)

vrdhi

vardi

"words"

English "words"

vayu

vaju

"weak"

English "weak"

Anyhow, Baltic languages are often mentioned as one of the most "archaic" among IE languages. I also think that Balto-Slavic languages have pre-historically been more exposed to influences from Eastern IE languages such as Scythian, while at the same time less exposed to transformation by a non-IE substratum. Therefore one would expect them to be "more pure", closer to proto-IE.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 02:59
Hey Maju I just edited my earlier post.Please read the footnote.
Jai Badri Vishal
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 06:09

Thank u for the links, Jhangora.

''Anyhow, Baltic languages are often mentioned as one of the most "archaic" among IE languages. I also think that Balto-Slavic languages have pre-historically been more exposed to influences from Eastern IE languages such as Scythian, while at the same time less exposed to transformation by a non-IE substratum. Therefore one would expect them to be "more pure", closer to proto-IE.''

Even many elements from baltic folklore r surprisingly similar to ancient indian ones...I found that in all Slavic languages, the word bog - god,was adopted from the iranian( scythic, sarmatian) and displaced the proto IE dievas.However-the Balts kept the original form...Some of the rituals of slavs-burial customs-r similar to those of india.I would also dare to note yhe similarity between what Helmhold wrote of baltic Slavs and some vedic writings-the belief in inactive god who created the world and then begotten it to ''lesser gods'' to govern it...Or the priest caste that existed among baltic slavs, where priests were payed more respect then towards the kings-if i remember correctly-such was the case with brahmans in india ( i found it in Louis Leger, La Mythologie Slave ).

I thought strava was turkic-but my source is very old...it means horror in serbian( slavic)

Edited by Socrates
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 06:24

Hey Maju I just edited my earlier post.Please read the footnote.

Well, the less important thing in the end is where did IE languages came ultimately from. The true important thing is that they are clearly connected.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 13:56
Originally posted by Socrates

Thank u for the links, Jhangora.

''Anyhow, Baltic languages are often mentioned as one of the most "archaic" among IE languages. I also think that Balto-Slavic languages have pre-historically been more exposed to influences from Eastern IE languages such as Scythian, while at the same time less exposed to transformation by a non-IE substratum. Therefore one would expect them to be "more pure", closer to proto-IE.''

Even many elements from baltic folklore r surprisingly similar to ancient indian ones...I found that in all Slavic languages, the word bog - god,was adopted from the iranian( scythic, sarmatian) and displaced the proto IE dievas.However-the Balts kept the original form...Some of the rituals of slavs-burial customs-r similar to those of india.I would also dare to note yhe similarity between what Helmhold wrote of baltic Slavs and some vedic writings-the belief in inactive god who created the world and then begotten it to ''lesser gods'' to govern it...Or the priest caste that existed among baltic slavs, where priests were payed more respect then towards the kings-if i remember correctly-such was the case with brahmans in india ( i found it in Louis Leger, La Mythologie Slave ).

I thought strava was turkic-but my source is very old...it means horror in serbian( slavic)

To some extent you are right Socrates.The king was guided by a brahman {Rajpurohit}.He would consult him on matters,major n minor.N usually follow Rajpurohit's advise. 

Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 07:37
Socrates your notebook is untidy.You get 2/10 .
Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 07:39

Socrates your notebook is untidy.You get 2/10 .

Cheeky fellow.Deleted his post.

Jai Badri Vishal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>